Seniors set the pace with sensational win

Warning: Undefined variable $ret in /customers/a/3/4/ on line 43


Carryduff Colts…….5

Suffolk Swifts……….3

Match report sponsored by Fraser Homes – Senior Teams sponsor.

Carryduff Colts moved to the top of the Northern Ireland Amateur League 2C when they blew Suffolk Swifts away in a sensational opening half hour.

The visitors had no answer to the superb passing, movement and work rate and the final score line does not reflect the dominance of Colts – all three of their opponents goals coming from highly dubious penalties.

This was as good a performance as Carryduff have produced in senior football and the one and two touch football was pleasing on the eye. 

Swifts had a chance early on to take the lead but goalkeeper John Mulholland produced a terrific diving save to his left, and that was the last they created until late in the half.

Darragh Brownlee was involved in all of four goals in that opening period, the first coming after just nine minutes when a great move finished with Brownlee finding Paddy McEvoy with a pinpoint pass and the midfielder, who had his best game since returning to the club, finished brilliantly.

It was 2-0 on the quarter of an hour mark when great work by Mattie McNally set up Brownlee who scored his third goal in two games. Then it was Stevie Doherty’s turn to get on the end of another superb pass by Bronwlee after 25 minutes and it was four on the half hour when the wee man returned the compliment to McNally who scored his second of the season.

Much of the Colts good play was coming through Michael Deeny in the middle of the park, another man of the match contender with his pinpoint passing and work rate,  and his midfield partner Conor Cassidy who was a tower of strength throughout.

Also in great form were centre backs Sparky Hegney and Rory McDonnell who snuffed out any danger with measured but aggressive defending while the tireless Paul Murphy, another who played superbly, and Paul Maguire were also solid in defence.

Three minutes before the break the ref awarded a penalty against Maguire. it was at best a questionable decision and Swifts took full advantage. And it was game on right on the interval when another disputed penalty allowed them to reduce the deficit to 4-2 at the break.

Suffolk were better into the second half and Colts brought on the excellent Conor O’Toole and Jack Crompton to shore up the defence and with 15 minutes to go they put the game out of reach when McNally found Doherty and another great finish saw him grab his second of the day.

Sub Jonny Henry came so close to making it six when his terrific first time lob from 40 yards narrowly missed the target.

Again, right on the final whistle, the ref awarded a third penalty to the visitors and this was the most doubtful of all, where he saw a handball is anyone’s guess.

This was as convincing and impressive win you will ever see and sets up an early season six pointer against Nortel, who are second on goal difference, next Saturday at Lough Moss.

After-match refreshments generously provided by our friends at the Parador Inn, Ormeau Road. 

Colts: Mulholland, Murphy, Maguire (O’Toole), McDonnell, Hegney, Cassidy, McEvoy (Crompton) Deeny, McNally, Doherty (Henry), Brownlee