Heartache for U13s in Cup Final


Carryduff Colts 2006 boys played in the U13 SBYL Supplementary Cup final in Bangor on Friday night.  They ended up on the losing side in a very tight battle with Greenisland. Going down 1-0.

Carryduff started the brighter of the 2 sides immediately going on the attack from the centre. Under pressure the Greenisland side conceded the first corner of the match. Indeed the first few minutes saw some sustained pressure as Carryduff pinned Greenisland back. Greenisland soaked up the pressure well and it was their turn for some sustained pressure. First with a shot that was well off target and then a through ball which the excellent Charlie in goals for Carryduff intercepted.

Possibly a turning point in the game was when Peter went off injured. He had been lively on the right wing for Carryduff during the opening 10 mins and was causing some serious issues down the right. Luckily Carryduff had David to call upon. He came on and was immediately involved in Carryduff’s next attack. He and Carryduff’s left back combined well to place a probing ball in behind the Greenisland defence. This time it was Greenisland keeper’s turn to be quick off his line to clear the ball.

There followed a period of back and forth between the 2 teams. Both teams conceding corners. Greenisland also had a speculative penalty shout during this period which the referees waved away. Carryduff in return was awarded a free kick just outside the Greenisland penalty area. Dara floated the ball to the back post where Natan connected with his head but unfortunately the ball went the wrong side of the goal post.

0-0 half time with neither goal keeper being particularly challenged. Both defences well on top.

Greenisland started sharply in the second half going straight into attack. With the first shot of the half coming from a very busy Finn speeding up the left hand side and lobbing the ball high over the Greenisland defence. The shot caught the goalie off guard but unfortunately the ball bounced wide.

Greenisland then went into their strongest period of the game. First came a shot and easy save for Charlie. Next Greenisland got caught narrowly offside with a ball dropped over the Carryduff defence. Then a shot on the turn which again Charlie comfortably  dealt with. After 5 mins of fairly sustained attack the Carryduff defence cracked and the Greenisland left winger found himself unmarked in the penalty area. With Charlie raci ng to close the angles, the winger found the net. 1-0 to Greenisland.

On came Timothy to replace Natan who had run tirelessly  in midfield. Following a reshuffle Timothy settled into right back. Carryduff reorganised into a more attacking formation pushing Dara up front. This gave Carryduff more bite going forward. This was good stuff from Carryduff, especially down the left where David and Finn were a real pain to Greenisland. Unfortunately for Colts Greenisland were able to run down the clock and by the time the final whistle sounded the Carryduff players had given their all. In particular the back line of Matthew, James, Darragh and Dara were outstanding in the match. Charlie as always was Mister Dependable in nets.

Congratulations to Greenisland on their victory. Congratulations to the Carryduff boys for making it through to the final.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.