Armagh City 2 v 1 Carryduff Colts U16 A

Armagh City 2 - 1 Carryduff Colts U16 A
14 Nov 2015Armagh City Irish League 3G - NIBFA Cup

U16 A team lose out to Armagh City in NIBFA

The lads made an early trip to Armagh, rain and cold wind was the order of the day but on an excellent 3G pitch and parents tucked up in the stand the game started slowly. The Colts had the vast majority of the ball, and although lacked the normal high paced and energetic football they still created a few decent chances, Rory Reilly had an excellent long range shot saved by an inspired Armagh keeper, with Ryan Tweedy having a 25 yard free kick also saved with the Colts failing to turn in the rebound. The Colts continued to press and worked some excellent corners which just didn’t gave the final touch. Eoin Maguire was a spectator for most of the first half with a could of close offside decisions going for the Colts which kept the score 0:0 at half time.

The Colts started the 2nd half much much better, and the ever energetic Caolan Cunningham latched on to a great through the ball from Rory, rounded the keeper but he wet greasy surface pushed him a couple of yards wide and hit shot hit the side net. Moments later Caolan had another shot well saved by the Armagh keeper and when the ball broke to Tommy Connery it got stuck between his feet and his effort was cleared, the pressure was clearly on and the Colts were pushing for the first goal of the game. Armagh made a few excursions into the Colts box bow Eoin easily cut out any threat, and again made an intelligent clearance to Caolan on the left wing who used his strength and speed to break into the Armagh box and with a pinpoint square pass he found the in rushing Tommy Connery to slip the ball under the keeper, 1:0 to the Colts and a great move.

The Colts controlled the game up to the last 10 minutes when Armagh won a soft free kick and when it was cleared the made a decent move down the left wing and without any challenge to stop the cross they had a free man on the back post to head into the net, a really soft goal 1:1. Again the lads continued to press for winner, but again failed to clear the ball and from the resulting corner Armagh scored a 2nd free header, 2:1 to Armagh who really only had two chances throughout the game. Time ran out for the Colts to get an equaliser, and the game finished 2:1, and out of the NIBFA for another year………..and like manger teams in this position, “we can now concentrate on league”!!

Goal scorer: Tommy Connery.
Man of The Match: Caolan Cunningham.