Carryduff Colts U16A 4 V1 Celtic Boys

Carryduff Colts U16A 4 - 1 Celtic Boys
08 Jan 2016Rathmore 3G

The lads turned out on the excellent Rathmore 3G on a still cold night under the lights and with SBYFL TV recording the game against Celtic Boys in the first round of the cup.

Eoin Maguire was still carrying an injury which meant Peter Duncan had to step into nets, and with an attacking 4:3:3 formation the lads started well enough, and although the lads pushed the ball around well Celtic Boys defended really well and started to cause the back four of David Hilland-Paul Doherty-Jonny Wilson- and birthday boy Leo McGowan a few problems. With 25 minutes gone the Colts won a series of corners, and straight off the training ground Simon Turkington played a ball to the edge of the box and with two step-overs the ball landed at the feet of Ryan Tweedy who dispatched the ball into the bottom corner of the net, 1:0 to the Colts.

The first half ended without much more excitement and 1:0 to the Colts. A few changes at the break resulted in a more energetic start the 2nd half, but with a quick break Celtic boys where awarded an indirect free kick in the box following a harsh decision on a back pass from Tom Webb-Jones which Peter picked up, but the lads charged the free kick well and snuffed out any chance. This sparked the lads into some great passages of play, and with the ever impressive Caolan Cunningham up front working tirelessly, and Donal Healy making great runs on the right the chances started to come, and when Michael Lawson picked up the ball on the left side of the 18 yard box he cut inside dropped his shoulder twice leaving two Celtic defenders on the ground and tucked the ball into the bottom right corner of the net, 2:0 to the Colts. Celtic Boys continued to press, but with Jonny reading any danger really well and Peter controlling the shape of the back four they held firm.

Caolan was again making a real nuance of himself on every run, and when squared the ball to Caleb Keating all the he had to do was tap it into the net, but…… With a tremendous sliding effort a Celtic defender cleared off the line, what a stop! The energetic Rory Reilly was pulling the strings in midfield, and when he found Tommy Connery in the box with a pin point pass Tommy turned on a sixpence and turned towards goal, and with keeper diving at his feet he just couldn’t get the final touch to make it 3:0, but within minutes Caolan broke down the right again and again squared the ball to Caleb who this time didn’t hesitate and smashed the ball into the net, 3:0 to the Colts.

Again Celtic Boys pressed and as the ball broke in the box Rory turned to clear the ball, and unluckily smashed the ball against the Celtic players legs and the ball rebounded into the net, 3:1. The Colts continued to control the game and after another series of corners, the ball was crossed to the back post where Paul Doherty was free to nod the ball into the goal, 4:1 to the Colts.

The game ended 4:1 to the Colts who are now into the 2nd round of the cup.

Goal scorers: Ryan Tweedy/Michael Lawson/Caleb Keating/Paul Doherty
Man of The Match: Caolan Cunningham.