League Cup Qtr Final – Carryduff Colts U16 A v Ballysillan Swifts

Carryduff Colts U16 A 3 - 2 Ballysillan Swifts
05 Apr 2016 - 18:30Hydebank

On a sunny but damp evening the U16’s turned out against top 4 team Ballysillan Swifts, the lads knew they’d be in for a good challenge. It was fairly even first half with no real chances until 10 minutes from halftime when the energetic Caolan Cunningham latched on to a pinpoint pass from Ryan Tweedy and as he took the ball past the Ballysillan keeper a slightly late challenge brought Caolan down, penalty!  Up stepped Michael Lawson who dispatched the penalty into the bottom corner, 1:0 to the Colts and 100% penalty scoring record maintained by Michael!

Ballysillan went straight on the attack, with 5 minutes left to the half the Colts failed to clear the ball on their right side and the Ballysillan striker took full advantage smashing the ball over Eoin Maguire from 20 yards, 1:1 and pretty much the end of the first half.

The Colts started much better in the 2nd half playing much better sequences of passes and some great corners straight off the training ground, but it was that man Caolan Cunningham who was on the attack again, and as he muscled his way into the box he was challenged heavily again and the ref pointed to the spot for the 2nd time, this time Ryan Tweedy stepped up and smashed the ball into the back of the net, 2:1 to the Colts with 20 minutes remaining.

Ballysillan pushed hard again, and Eoin Maguire was now called into action making some comfortable but important saves, and dispatching the ball really well, Paul Doherty and Jonny Wilson were keeping the Ballysillan attack under control but having to work hard to do so. Another good break from Ballysillan resulted in a bit of a goal-line scramble and as one of the Ballysillan lads dipped to head the ball bravely Leo McGowan over stretched and the ref blew for a high foot, penalty to Ballysillan, Eoin was sent the wrong way and the game was all square again 2:2.

The game ebbed and flowed and was evenly matched and the Colts kept on working the ball, and after winning a corner Simon Turkington delivered an accurate back post ball for Michael Lawson to coolly side foot the ball into the net, 3:2 to the Colts.

Ballysillan continued to push for the equaliser which opened up a few gaps for the Colts, and again the highly energetic Caolan Cunningham broke into the box and as he went past the keeper he was brought down again, the ref initially pointed to the spot for the 4th penalty of the game, but after some delay he changed his mind to a corner, a very strange decision, but with only minutes to go the Colts held on to go through to the Cup Semi Final!

Final score 3:2 to the Colts
Scorers: Michael Lawson 2, Ryan Tweedy 1
Man of the match: Paul Doherty.