Newhill 2 v 4 Carryduff Colts U 16 A

Newhill 2 - 4 Carryduff Colts U16 A
23 Oct 2015Whiterock 3G - SBYL U16 Premier

A truly excellent top of the table class at Whiterock with last 3 season Premier League winners Newhill hosting last seasons Prem League runners up Carryduff, an early challenge for both teams to put down an marker.

In front of a great crowd the young Colts played into a strong wind but had the majority of the ball, and within 10 minutes Michael Lawson played an intelligent 1-2 with Caolan Cunningham and was 1 on 1 with the Newhill keeper who smothered the shot well denying a well worked opportunity. The lads defended masterfully, with David Hilland winning every header and distributing the ball really well, and along with Peter Duncan, Paul Doherty and the calm Jonny Wilson in the centre the back 4 controlled any threat and kept Eoin Magiure without any real threat.

The lads pushed hard again and won a free kick outside the box, up stepped Ryan Tweedy who shot cannoned into the wall, the ball broke and after a few minutes another free was awarded in similar position, Simon Turkington took this one and smashed the ball past the wall and into the bottom corner, 1:0 to The Colts.

Newhill pressed hard and came close with a few long range free kicks, and where always a threat from their excellent long throws, but the half finished 1:0.

The 2nd half started badly, The Colts gave away a cheap throw and couldn’t clear a pin point cross towards the back post for an easy tap in, 1:1.

Newhill haven’t lost a home league game in over 4 years, and the Colts didn’t let that phase them, and with 10 minutes Rory Rielly picked up the ball on the halfway line, cut inside and from 35 yards unleashed a tremendous shot which swerved and dipped smashing into the net, what a goal to go 2:1 up fir the Colts, Rory was bossing the midfield and this was a weLl deserved goal following his shoulder injury which kept him out for a few weeks.

The Colts played some excellent football and another excellent clearance from Eoin Maguire found an energetic Tommy Connery who made a very brave header over the approaching Newhill keeper and as the ball ended up in the net the ref blew for a very dubious free kick against us! Goal disallowed!

Newhill continued to press and Eoin Maguire came out to collect a long ball taking a very heavy knock to his head, but thankfully was ok. The Colts responded really well and within minutes Caolan Cunninhsm picked up the ball about 40 yards out and went one of his fast mazy runs, cutting inside on to his left foot and tucked the ball into the bottom corner from 20 yards, 3:1 to the Colts!

Newhill again came back strong, winning a free kick about 20 yard out and it was only the post which kept the score 3:1, but again the Colts pushed forward and when the ball broke in midfield Jack Millar connected with the sweetest shot curling the ball into the top corner from 25 yards!! 4:1 to the Colts with only 5 minutes left.

Newhill again continued to attack and with seconds to go the scored a well worked goal to make it 4:2 just before the final whistle.

It ended 4:2 to the Colts which continues their 100% record this season, inflicting Newhills first home defeat in over 4 years.

Man of The Match: RORY RIELLY